Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Neon


On Wednesday 30th May I will have been blogging for 4 years. Can’t quite believe it’s been that long, in some ways it’s flown by and in others it’s been a long 4 years. In terms of my creative journey it’s been quite a ride, with many changes of direction until I arrived at what I feel is my “thing”. Polymer clay. I’m still a beginner with heaps to learn, although I don’t think you can learn everything about polymer clay, it’s such a chameleon medium and even experienced clayers are still finding amazing ways to use the stuff.

One thing I do know is my photography is getting worse instead of better. I bought one of these but I’m not having much luck with it. But I’ll battle on and see if I can get some better photos using it. The idea is great, it’s just getting the right light source, a well lit window is ideal but then I have to move furniture etc. to set it up. I tried lights either side and even though they are daylight bulbs it still gave a blue cast to everything.

modahaus
Modahaus light system
So according to “my up with the latest fashions daughter” neon is big. It’s big in the northern hemisphere for spring/ summer and as we are just going into autumn/winter I guess we will be seeing it at the end of the year.

I bought some neon clay.

P1040343

And had a play.

P1040404-001

P1040405-001

P1040410-001

Now to figure out what to do with them.

4 comments:

  1. Love those balls! How about a necklace with them 'floating' on silver chain?
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing I ever did was to put away my light box. Every photo came out an odd color even though I checked the white balance, used recommended bulbs, and did some photo editing. Now I just have a small parlor table in front of my north facing window and a piece of white foam board propped up to reflect the light from the window back onto the jewelry. The table is small and easy to store right in the same room. Now the only time I bring out the box is when there is not enough sunlight.

    I'm loving the neon colors too. Your beads are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Blogiversary! It's been a real pleasure reading all the posts here at Deez News and seeing your unique style of jewelry. If I ever make it out to that part of the world I hope we can have a nice chat in person.

    As for the light box, I really love mine for getting good shots of tiny things, but sometimes it's quite a struggle to get everything set up just right. When I set up my new studio in my new house I am going to try to get a taller table and position it near the windows to see how that works. I'll try to blog about it, too, and maybe it'll have some ideas that help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finding using my light box to be a really pain in an unmentionable bodypart. I have been trying to blog weekly AND post my weekly earring pictures. I have to set it up each time. So lately I have been using my window as the light source. Much faster. Of course, I will probably have to use the light box when I start to sell on line. (sigh ... if I ever get the nerve....)

    ReplyDelete