Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Featured Designer


Well I was thrilled to find out I was the featured designer on Love My Art Jewellery blog this week. They featured my gift tag that I entered in the Art Spark challenge. The challenge was to design something that makes you happy. You can see it here. It’s such an uplifting feeling to have your work acknowledged I must say.

Well yesterday was a very long day. I had to put my car in for a service and Honda have a courtesy driver who will drop you off where ever you’d like (within reason) and then pick you up when your car is ready. So I decided to go to the nearest shopping centre and wander around. Little did I know I’d be wandering for 6 hours. Ever strolled around a shopping centre for that long? I tell you I was exhausted and bored out of my head by the time I was picked up.

But I did buy something that led to a painting frenzy this morning. I usually use cardstock as a background when taking photos of my jewellery, but it’s starting to get a little tatty and I was looking for something a little  more robust that I could use.

That’s when I spied these.

P1030341-1

El cheapo placemats from the Reject shop, 4 for $9.00. I liked the wood faux grain pattern on them but it was a bit too busy. So while I was sitting down having a coffee and resting my very sore legs all kinds of ideas jumped into my head.

 P1030346-1   
P1030347-1

I sanded  then painted a soft grey over it and added some subtle stamps.

P1030363-1
P1030364-1

I don’t know how well it will stand up to wear and tear, it remains to be seen.

The rest of the mats I painted the back (cork side) with various shades of grey and stamped.

P1030356-1
P1030354-1

This one took the longest. I used gesso and while it was still wet I scrunched up tissue paper then smooshed it down over the paint, painted more gesso over the top and then dried it with the hair dryer.

P1030344-1
P1030352-1

More coats of paint, sprayed it with Adirondack Colour Wash, didn’t like it, sponged it off but then it looked like it had grease marks all over it so I used Stazon Sone Gray and lightly smeared over the crinkles.

P1030367-1

P1030368-1

If you are so inclined, you could probably pick up placemats at an op shop or you may even have some lying around at home that never get used anymore.  I’ve got a few more ideas floating around in my head, now I just need more mats.


0 comments:







Post a Comment