Friday, December 23, 2011

Recycled Mirror


Well not so much recycled as re-vamped some what. I made this during my mosaic period quite a few years ago. It’s been hanging in the hallway opposite the door to the bathroom . Well the hallway had a bit of a paint makeover a few weeks ago and when the mirror was taken off the wall all the grout started to crack. I obviously hadn’t prepared the substrate very well. So I managed to lift all the tiles and the grout off the backing.

P1030637

And was left with this fabulous texture.

P1030638

So after cleaning it up a bit and some judicious sanding I painted it with black gesso.

P1030695-1

Just kind of slapped it on without worrying too much about perfect coverage.

P1030691-1

P1030693

Then I got out my trusty Viva Gold solid paints.

P1030694-1

And just smeared a few of the colours over the raised textured areas (where I’d lifted off the tiles and the glue residue was still there).

And ended up with this.

P1030696-1

Not all that excited about it anymore. Nothing like the image I had in my head. The men of the house really liked it, dunno, I think it needs spot of gold (I used silver and platinum paints) here and there just to lift it a bit.

P1030698-1
A close up of the texture although the silvery highlights aren’t evident in the photo.
P1030700

Absolutely nothing to do with mirrors but I like how these photos turned out. Late afternoon sun in our garden.

P1030688-1

P1030689-1

Well the shopping is done, the presents are wrapped and I’ve cooked what I needed to cook, so now it’s house cleaning and tidying my very messy studio.


0 comments:







Post a Comment